electric tech carnival
Workshops, Meetings, Concerts
Calling all women to participate in the 4th annual /Eclectic Tech Carnival
(/etc for short) at the ESC Cultural Centre in Graz. A unique computer
skill-share. A five day-night carnival of exchanging computer related skills
for women by women.
Our theme this year is Networking both physically and technically; with
Translocal Communication tools from open source chatting and blogging
software to building secure local area networks for organising both locally
Program Topics for this year:
1. Free & Open Source Software - the concept, plus examples for all
2. Linux installation (ubuntu, debian) and Live CD distro Dynebolic.
3. Web Development - text editors, HTML, CSS and web-based content
4. Chat and Communication Software - IRC, jabber, Gnome Meeting, silc.
5. PC Hardware - building a computer; no one will take the screwdriver out
of your hand in this workshop.
6. Networking and Security Issues.
7. Special Topics and Performances - Loom Weaving, Ethnoblogging, Streaming
Sound and Video, using Puredata, Keyworx and Upstage for net collaborations.
8. Some local recreational excursion - we can't always be sitting at the
Have you ever wanted to learn more about computers and how tech stuff works?
Never dared to open your best friend's computer? Ever started repairing your
bicycle but was stopped by a gentleman's helping hand? Always wanted to know
more about Free and Open Source Software? Want to meet other women who love
playing with bits and bytes, hardware and software?
Then the /etc is for you!
We only use Free and Open Source software. Software that you can use and
improve because the code is not kept secret.
It will be okay to break things and to ask questions.
No one will tell you to RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual).
It will exhilarate and exhaust.
There will be communication barriers, but we intend to challenge them.
The /etc is organised by volunteers from Austria, Spain, Italy, the
Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, USA, Serbia-Monte Negro,
Slovenia, Germany, Brazil. Practically, English will be the default language
of the event but please don't let this keep you from joining us! For courses
we will try other languages.